Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Week 6 - Chennai - July 27, 2014

This was another awesome week filled with lots of traveling, some hot weather and fun with a baptism to end off the week.  Brother Ramesh and Sister Sumithra were baptized yesterday and it was awesome (the ones in the middle).  The branch president (left) preformed the baptism and it was so funny.  Ramesh was baptized first and the branch president kind of messed up and he didn't go all the way under so he just started pushing him down and like 10 seconds later he finally cam back up! I thought he was going to drown him haha.  The wife's was a lot better!

We met some pretty interesting people this week too and they were fun to talk to.  The hours go by like minutes here and the days like hours.  One thing we are going outside to start the day and next thing I know its 9 at night and we have to go back to our apartment.  We had some more people inspect our apartment this week and they told us how dirty it was but we just said that the dirt is permanently stuck and doesn't come off haha.  There were some really hot days here but I don't really mind it anymore.  Just when we don't eat then I start to lose patience!

My companion already has a software/computer engineer degree so when he goes back home in 9 months he will start looking for a job.  He is fluent in Telegu and speaks English well also.  He joined the church when he was 19 because he ran into some missionaries and said they could teach him English because he wanted to learn.  Now he is doing the Lords work and is one of the hardest workers in India.  Hes a pretty awesome example for me.  

I've picked up a couple of phrases in Tamil and most people we teach speak very very little English.  Every neighborhood I come to I always have like a paparazzi following me so I feel like a celebrity.  We had 5 people attend church yesterday and that was awesome!  I'm starting to get used to eating with my hands so its going to be hard to go back to utensils when I come back.  I think we are going to another beach  and probably pick up some stuff as well.  They sell some sweet watches for under $2 here.

We visited Balaji, this week as well and he actually lives pretty close to us.  He would be in the branch right next to ours and he said that he believes in Jesus Christ and has been looking to join a church so it was perfect! We will visit him again this week and invite him to church!

There are some really really poor people here and has definitely given me a perspective as to how lucky I am to have grown up in such a great place.  Definitely excited to continue to keep working and serving God for another 23 months!

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for all the emails this week. Keep writing and I love you all.


Elder Wakefield

No comments:

Post a Comment